Is it breakfast or dessert? This Glazed Blueberry Poppy Seed Cake is so delicious, it’s hard to tell. Either way, your family or guests will be impressed by the deliciousness of your baking abilities.
Affiliate links are used in this post.
Blueberry Poppy Seed Cake
Dive right into this tasty Blueberry Poppy Seed Cake. This sour cream blueberry cake is so soft and moist and with the glazed blueberry topping, it’s full of flavor!
Just the right combination of sweet and tangy. With a lemon blueberry cake topping, you’ll have a new favorite in your make-ahead brunch recipes list!
How to Make Sour Cream Blueberry Cake:
- Cream together your butter and sugar. Then, add in lemon peel and egg.
- Combine your dry ingredients, then mix them right in with your butter mixture, adding a little at a time and alternating with sour cream.
- Now, prepare your baking pan. I prefer using a spring-form baking pan so it’s easy to keep the perfect shaped lemon blueberry cake you make!
- Fill in the spingform pan, pressing the sides up about an inch to create a lower center perfect for filling with your glazed blueberry topping! Now, fill with your blueberry topping and then bake!
- While your cake bakes you can prep the easy glaze. Then, glaze and serve!
FAQ’s About Making Blueberry Cake Recipe:
Q: How do I keep the blueberry batter from turning colors?
A: By mixing blueberries with a little sugar or flour, it helps keep the blueberries from bleeding into the rest of your batter or changing colors. Blueberries change color depending on the pH balance of your recipe.
Q: Can I substitute the sour cream?
A: Yes, you can substitute sour cream with plain yogurts, like greek yogurt 1:1.
Q: What other berries can I use?
A: For a different flavor, experiment with other berries. Try fresh raspberries or strawberries instead.
Don’t be afraid to experiment and share your experiences in the comments to help others that may have the same question.
If you love this Blueberry Cake recipe, spend a view minutes checking out these Easy Brunch Recipes you’ll also love:
- This Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is a perfect pairing with our Lemon Blueberry Cake or a great alternative if you’re ready to try something just a little different.
- Go for these Oatmeal Raspberry Muffins for a perfect addition to your brunch menu for a crowd!
- Blueberry lovers will adore this Blueberry Pie Oatmeal – like a treat in a bowl!
- You also need to try these Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins. The sour cream adds that soft texture and a robust flavor!
Connect with Simple Sweet Recipes on your
favorite social channel for more recipes!
You can find us on:
Sour Cream Blueberry Cake Recipe
Poppy Seed Cake
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, and then add in the lemon
peel and egg.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Mix to incorporate.
- Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients a little at a time, alternating with sour cream and mixing as you go.
- Spray a 9-10 inch spring-form pan with non-stick cooking spray and add the cake mixture to the pan, pushing it down along the bottom of the pan and about an inch up the sides.
- Next, mix ingredients for the blueberry filling in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Top your poppy seed cake with blueberry topping.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until the top of the cake is lightly golden.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack. Run a knife along the edges of the cake to make sure it doesn’t stick, and then release the spring to remove the cake.
- Mix the glaze in a small bowl, stirring the milk into the powdered sugar until a nice smooth consistency is reached. Spoon glaze over the cake.
- Serve and enjoy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 375Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 162mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 34gProtein: 4g