This is the easiest tres leches cake you’ll ever made and the most delicious! This is so soft and moist it almost melts in your mouth. Sweet, delicate and just a bit spicy thanks to the cinnamon sprinkle on top this easy dessert is a total crowd favorite!
A Tres Leches Cake it’s a traditional Latin-American recipe that has become an American staple. Made with three different milks (that’s where the name comes from) it’s a sweet, spicy and delicious cake that’s so delicate it almost melts in your mouth.
A Tres Leches cake it’s very similar to a poke cake. You make a simple sponge cake, then poke small holes trough it all and pour a mix of condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream on top. Those are the three milks that give it it’s name.
How to make the easiest Tres Leches Cake:
Making this tres leches cakes super simple! It may seem like a complicated cake but it’s honestly one of the easiest desserts you’ll ever bake!
- Start by beating the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add all the rest of the ingredients excepto for the egg whites. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl whip up the egg whites until stiff peaks form. With the help of a spatula and carefully fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Transfer to a greased and floured baking pan and take to the oven. Bake for around 30 minutes or until done. Remove frozen and let the cake cool.
- Now it’s time to prepare the tres leches mix! In a bowl mix the sweetened condensed milk with the evaporated milk and the heavy cream.
- With the help of a fork poke holes over the cake and pour the tres leches mx all over. Refrigerate the cake for around 1 hours so it soaks it all up.
- Top the cake with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon and serve!
FAQ’s about Tres Leches Cake:
Q: Is tres leches cake Spanish or Mexican?
A: Tres Leches Cake it’s actually a Latin American dessert! Countries like Mexico, Perú, Chile and Venezuela consider tres leches cake a part of their culture.
Q: Can you use cake mix to make the cake of a tres leches?
A: Yes! just make sure it’s a sponge like cake so it can soak up most of the three milks mix. It the cake it’s to moist or dense it won’t soak it up as well as a sponge cake.
Q: What’s the best way to serve tres leches cake?
A: Cold! The best way to serve this cake is straight from the refrigerator! It’s a refreshing and delicate treat that’s better enjoyed that way.
IF YOU LOVE THIS TRES LECHES CAKE RECIPE, SPEND A FEW MINUTES CHECKING OUT THESE OTHER INDULGENT RECIPES YOU’LL ALSO LOVE:
- If you are feeling international make some Spanish Churros! These are super easy to make and the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack.
- And if you have some leftover condensed milk use it to make these 3-ingredient toasted coconut cookies that are super easy to make and incredibly delicious!
- And if you are looking for something just as scrumptious as this cake make some salted caramel cheesecake bars.
Connect with Simple Sweet Recipes on your
favorite social channel for more recipes!
You can find us on:
Tres Leches Cake Recipe
- 5 egg yolks (whites reserved)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 5 egg whites
Tres leches Poke Mix:
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
- 1 can evaporated milk (12oz)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
For the topping:
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an flour a 9x13 baking pan and set aside.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the egg yolks with the sugar until lighter in color, around 7 minutes. Add flour, milk, vanilla, baking powder, cinnamon and beat until everything is well incorporated. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. With the help of a spatula fold the whipped egg whites into the cake batter.
4. Transfer the cake batter to the prepared pan and take to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until done. Remove from the oven and let it cool.
5. Combine sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream in a bowl. Using a fork poke holes evenly across the top of the cake and pour the mixture over the cake. Refrigerate for around 1 hours to give the cake time to soak up the mix.
6. Cover with the whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 106mgSodium: 152mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 0gSugar: 23gProtein: 7g