Spanish Churros are a delicious and indulgent breakfast, dessert or snack. Enjoy them with a huge cup of coffee and a chocolate dip or with a mug of hot chocolate. Crispy and crunchy on the outside and super soft on the inside they are going to become one of your favorite recipes!
Churros are a surprisingly easy recipe to make at home! Actually they take around 30 minutes to make from start to finish. To make them you only need a handful of pantry staples you probably already have on hand. And best of all? They are a total crowd favorite!
If you never had a churro before, prepare to have your world be taken up by storm because they are mind blowing good! A churro is basically an airy and fluffy dough deep fried until a crispy, crunchy golden outer layer forms. Then they get coated with cinnamon sugar and served with some dipping sauce or hot chocolate.
HOW TO MAKE SPANISH CHURROS
- In a saucepan mix water, butter and sugar. Place over medium heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add flour and mix until you have a shiny dough. It’s going to be super smooth.
- Remove from heat and let it cool for a couple of minutes.
- While the dough is cooling down fill a small pot with vegetable oil and place over medium heat. You want the oil to be super hot for deep frying the churros in it.
- Transfer the churro dough to a piping bag and pipe the churros. I did this over some parchment paper and then transferred them to the oil with the help of a spatula.
- Take each churro to the oil and cook until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and coat with a cinnamon sugar mix. Do this step when the churros are fresh from the hot oil so the cinnamon sugar sticks.
FAQ’S ABOUT SPANISH CHURROS
Q: Are churros Mexican or Spanish?
A: This is a common question! While a lot of people think churros are Mexican truth is they are original from Spain and Portugal. While you can find churros in the touristy parts of Mexico they are not part of the traditional cuisine in the way they are in Spain.
Q: How do you keep churros crispy?
A: Churros are best when served fresh. You can actually make everything and refrigerate them before frying in the piping bag. However if you already fry tem and want to keep them crispy the best way is placing them in a baking pan and in the oven. Then give them a quick 10 minutes bake to make them crispy again.
Q:. What do you serve with spanish churros?
The most common way is to serve them with a thick hot chocolate or a chocolate sauce. You can also serve them with caramel, dulce de leche and some families even serve them with jam. When coated in cinnamon sugar Spanish churros are also incredibly delicious on their own.
IF YOU LOVE THIS SPANISH CHURROS RECIPE, SPEND A FEW MINUTES CHECKING OUT THESE OTHER AMAZING BREAKFAST RECIPES
- If comforting recipes are your thing make sure to check these blueberry cheesecake scones that are to die form!
- Or make a batch of these easy strawberry frosted doughnuts that are incredibly indulgent but super easy to make!
- And if you are in for a traditional, family favorite recipe, make these applesauce waffles!
CONNECT WITH SIMPLE SWEET RECIPES ON YOUR
FAVORITE SOCIAL CHANNEL FOR MORE RECIPES!
You can find us on:
Spanish Churros Recipe
- 2 Cups water
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Cups flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
1. In a saucepan over medium heat mix water, butter and sugar. Bring to a gentle simmer until butter has completely melted.
2. Add flour and stir until incorporated and shiny. Remove from heat and quickly incorporate the eggs until you have a smooth dough. Mix in vanilla. Let cool for a couple of minutes.
3. Transfer to a piping bag and shape the churros.
4. Heat vegetable oil in a pot over medium heat. Transfer the churros to the hot oil and cook until holden brown and crispy.
5. Remove form fire and coat with cinnamon and sugar.