This easy chocolate mousse with coffee is incredibly indulgent! It’s light, airy and packed with all the chocolate while also being super easy and quick to make.
Chocolate mousse is one of those things everyone should know how to make, it’s indulgent, a total crowd favorite, only needs pantry staples to make it (if you consider chocolate to be a pantry staple) and really easy.
While most people are scared of trying to make chocolate mousse at home (I was one of them!) This recipe is fool proof. You’ll get the most airy and delicious chocolate mousse you’ll ever taste in just a couple of minutes. Chocolate craving be gone!
How to make Coffee Chocolate Mousse:
- First beat chilled heavy cream until fluffy. You want to beat it until stiff peaks from. Once that happens refrigerate for later.
- In a bowl combine egg yolks, sugar, strong brewed coffee and chocolate and place over a pot with boiling water to have a double boiler. Cook stirring constantly until the chocolate is melted and everything is incorporated. Remove from heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- While the chocolate is cooling down beat the egg whites until fluffy. Just like with the cream beat until you have stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then fold ¾ of the reserved whipped cream.
- Refrigerate and decorate with the remaining whipped cream.
FAQ’S about making Easy Chocolate Mousse:
Q: What kind of chocolate is used for mousse?
A: Traditionally bitter chocolate is the prefered chocolate for making mousse. However feel free to use any chocolate you prefer, that’s what’s going to give the mousse it’s flavor. If you prefer milk chocolate use that and if you prefer a bitter 80% dark chocolate go for that option. Just make sure you are using a good quality one because the chocolate is the star of this recipe.
Q: Can I make chocolate mousse without heavy cream or without meringue?
A: You can only use heavy cream or whipped egg whites to make chocolate mousse. I prefer to use both because they help create that super light and airy mousse texture we all know and love. If you only use one or the order your mousse is going to be a bit more dense and pudding-like.
Q: How do you set chocolate mousse?
A: Just refrigerate your chocolate mousse for around 1 hour to overnight before serving it. The longer you refrigerate it the more set it’s going to be.
Don’t be afraid to experiment and share your experiences in the comments to help others that may have the same question.
IF YOU LOVE THIS 5-INGREDIENT CHOCOLATE MOUSSE RECIPE, SPEND A FEW MINUTES CHECKING OUT THESE OTHER AMAZING CHOCOLATE RECIPES YOU’LL ALSO LOVE:
- If quick and indulgent recipes are your thing then make sure to try this 5 Ingredients Chocolate Sorbet!
- Or if baked goods are what you are craving right now go and make this 3 Ingredients Pudding Brownies, they are SO DELICIOUS.
- And make sure to check these Homemade Hot Chocolate Truffles too! Not only they are delicious but they also make a great chocolate gift.
Connect with Simple Sweet Recipes on your
favorite social channel for more recipes!
You can find us on:
Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites seperated
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 7 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- Whip the chilled heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate for later.
- In a bowl combine egg yolks, coffee, sugar and chopped chocolate. Place over a pot filled with boiling water over medium heat. Mix constantly until chocolate is fully melted and the mixture has paled in color and is slightly foamy. Remove from heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Meanwhile beat the egg whites until fluffy and stiff.
- Once the chocolate mixture has cooled down fold in the stiff egg whites being careful to not over mix. Fold in half of the whipped cream.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving it topped with the remaining whipped cream.