Affiliate links are used in this post.
Super Soft Sugar Cookies
My family had a tradition every year, baking my grandma’s soft sugar cookies recipe together.
It was without fail my entire childhood and even into my boys childhood memories.
This past Christmas we moved across the country and we knew it just wouldn’t quite be Christmas without our favorite Christmas cookies and those treasured memories we share!
It’s all the mixing and flour.
The rolling and snitching some dough to snack on.
The cutting and the frosting.
And of course, the reward at the end. The best soft sugar cookies ever!
The are thick, and soft, and so, so, good!
My grandma’s secret recipe always included a special ingredient I’ve never seen in another sugar cookie recipe, that is the key to this recipe’s yummy taste!
Just a dash, a tiny hint, of lemon!
It may sound weird, but trust me when I say it makes both the dough and the cookies so incredible!
Then, don’t forget to lather them in our super easy 4-Ingredient Powdered Sugar Frosting!
More Favorite Cookie Recipes!
You can browse all of our easy cookie recipes here in our landing page specifically for cookies and bar recipes!
- Try this mini skillet cookie recipe for a desert that feels like you’re dining out, but it’s cheap, easy, and can be made in minutes!
- These no bake cookie dough bars not only LOOK amazing, they taste fantastic, too! Frost them with a color for the season or occasion you’re celebrating!
- These cheesecake sprinkle cookies are a go-to for me when I need a cookie in a pinch! It’s easy to keep the ingredients on hand.
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3-4 cups flour
- Powdered Sugar Frosting (click over for the recipe)
- Cream together the butter and sugar until well combined. Beat eggs into the mixture.
- Add milk, baking soda, vanilla, lemon extract, and salt. Blend until well combined.
- Add 3 cups of flour, mixing in one cup at a time until blended.
- Slowly add one additional cup of flour, only if needed.. You'll want your dough to be slightly sticky but form a solid dough.
- Transfer dough to the fridge and allow to chill for an hour and a half or overnight.
- Lightly flour your surface and roll out the dough to 1/8" thick (not too thick, not too thin).
- Cut our shapes with cookie cutters and placed cut dough onto a baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes at 350*F. Watch for the cookies to just start to turn golden. If you cook them too long, they will not be soft.
- Frost with our Powdered Sugar Frosting recipe and store in an air-tight container.
I originally shared my Grandma’s recipe here first: Best Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe