Sweet and so easy, this 4-ingredient powdered sugar frosting is my favorite! A go-to recipe for frosting soft sugar cookies, graham crackers, or cake.
Affiliate links are used in this post.
I’ve used this frosting for years.
My grandma would always buy a big ol’ bag of powdered sugar.
Then, I’d ask how we were going to make the frosting and she’d flip the powdered sugar bag right over and show me the recipe on the back of the bag.
She used that recipe for as long as I can remember.
We’d mix up a couple of colors. Usually green, blue, yellow, and a pink’ish red.
We’d frost our soft sugar cookies first. Then use whatever was left to slather onto some graham crackers.
Easy Powdered Sugar Frosting Recipe
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring (optional)
- Combine powdered sugar and softened butter with an electric mixer.
- Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon of milk.
- Gradually add additional milk, if needed, until you reach a smooth, easy to spread frosting.
- Once prepared, add food coloring, if desired, stirring the coloring in by spoon.
*If too runny, add additional powdered sugar to thicken your frosting.
Original Recipe from: Betty Crocker Vanilla Frosting