These mixed berry crumb bars are the perfect sweet recipe to have on hand! They work perfect as an indulgent breakfast, a quick snack or a family favorite dessert. Super easy and quick to make + you can even freeze these mixed berry crumb bars!
Crumb bars are the perfect dessert to make when you are short on time. With a buttery melt in your mouth base and a cookie like topping they taste like if you spent hours in the kitchen when in reality only take a couple of minutes to put together.
The other great thing? You can play with the fillings as much as you like! While this mixed berry one is sure to be a total crowd pleaser you can just use all the fruits you have on hand. Strawberries? Bring them on! Peaches? Totally! Apples? Yup! Just mix and match to create a pie square you love!
But back to this specific recipe. These mixed berry crumb bars are going to become your go to recipe. First, the base will literally melt in your mouth, that’s how soft it is.
And the filling, can we please talk about the filling? It’s fruity but not overly sweet and has just the perfect hint of cinnamon and spices and a little bit of lemon zest to brighten everything up.
How to Make Mixed Berry Crumb Bars:
- You start by making the crumb topping. Just whisk melted butter, brown sugar and flour.
- Then you prepare the filling. Mix your choice of berries with some sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon.
- Finally mix the base. Beat butter and confectioners sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, flour and baking powder and mix until creamy.
- Spread batter in a pan, top with the filling and finish with the crumb.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes and that’s it!
FAQ’s About Making This
Mixed Berry Crumb Bars Recipe:
Q: What fruits can I use for crumble bars?
A: . You can literally use any fruit you like! That’s the great thing about these pie bars.
Only have cherries? Use them. Prefer caramel and apples? That’s great. Maybe peaches? Bring them on! Choose the fruits as you please.
Hey, you can even use non fruit fillings for your crumble bars! How about some pecans or even toffee?
Q: How can I serve these mixed berry crumb bars?
A:. Well, they are delicious straight out of the oven, when they are still hot and melt in your mouth and your fingers.
They are also incredibly good once they have cooled down and are at room temperature, so they make the perfect quick snack on the go as well (and you can even pack them for work lunch or for a school lunchbox!).
And they are amazing when chilled, cold from the refrigerator as a refreshing treat to beat the heat. And if you want to totally elevate them serve them hot with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
Q: Can I freeze my mixed berry crumb bars?
A: Totally! That’s one of my favorite things about this recipe. You can make them in advance and then just pop them out of the freezer the night before and serve them at a party.
Or you can freeze them already cut into squares and then just grab one when you are craving it. A couple of quick seconds in the microwave is enough to bring them back to their awesome buttery state.
Don’t be afraid to experiment and share your experiences in the comments to help others that may have the same question.
If you love this mixed berry crumb bars recipe, spend a few minutes checking out these other amazing bar recipes!
- Try a homemade, no-bake peanut butter cereal bar. They are the perfect breakfast or snack and are packed with protein and drizzled with chocolate.
- Or make these oreo pumpkin cheesecake bars! Rich with flavor and with striking layers of swirled pumpkin cream cheese filling these bars are the ultimate fall treat!
- And if you prefer really quick recipes using only ingredients you have in your pantry then this 3 ingredient blueberry pie bars are just what you are looking for.
Connect with Simple Sweet Recipes on your
favorite social channel for more recipes!
You can find us on:
Mixed Berry Crumb Bars
Berry Crumble Topping:
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups mixed berries
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
Base Crumb Bars:
- 1/2 Cup butter
- 1 Cup confectioners sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a baking pan.
- In a bowl combine the melted butter with the brown sugar and 1 cup flour. Set aside
- In another bowl mix the berries with the brown sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest. Set aside so the berries release their juice.
- Finally prepare the base. In a bowl beat the butter and confectioners sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder and vanilla.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan. Top with the berry filling and finish with a generous crumb topping.
- Take to the oven and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven.