The great thing about this lemon yogurt pound cake? It’s perfect and delicious on it’s own too! We have some citrus notes thanks to the addition of lemon zest and lemon juice. We also have the tanginess of the yogurt and just the perfect amount of sweetness thanks the vanilla extract and the sugary crust.
How to make Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake:
- Start by beating together the butter, cream cheese and sugar. Also add the lemon zest and juice and the vanilla extract.
- Once it’s light and fluffy add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat on high speed for 5 minutes and then add the yogurt.
- Slowly incorporate the flour, beating until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the pound cake is baking combine sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Remove the cake from the oven and brush the top with the sugary mix. Return to the oven and bake for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool before removing from the pan.
FAQ’S about Making This Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake Recipe
Q: Can you use oranges or grapefruit instead of lemon?
A: Yes! The great thing about this recipe is that you can use the citrus fruit you have on hand, or anyone you prefer. You can also use a combination of lemon and orange.
Q: Can you use sour cream, buttermilk or milk instead of yogurt?
A: Also yes. The result with sour cream or buttermilk is very similar to yogurt because both pack a tanginess. If you use milk instead just keep in mind the flavor will change a bit.
Q: Can you make pound cake in advance?
A: The great thing about pound cake is that’s a cake that lasts perfectly well for a couple of days! Just keep it tightly wrapped with plastic wrap and into the refrigerator for a couple of days before serving it. Once you are ready to serve bring it to room temperature or reheat for a couple of minutes in the oven
IF YOU LOVE THIS LEMON YOGURT POUND CAKE RECIPE, SPEND A FEW MINUTES CHECKING OUT THESE OTHER AMAZING RECIPES YOU’LL ALSO LOVE:
- Make a this delicious lemon poppy seed bread! It’s perfect to serve it with some coffee or tea.
- Or make a couple of loves of sweet pineapple coconut bread. You can keep them frozen until you are ready to eat them!
- And also make sure to check this cream cheese banana bread that’s just to die for! Make a large loaf because everyone will ask for seconds.
Connect with Simple Sweet Recipes on your
favorite social channel for more recipes!
You can find us on:
Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 3 tbls
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice and zest from 1 lemon (2 tbls reserved)
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
Lemon Glaze Ingredients
- 3 tbls sugar
- 2 tbls reserved lemon juice or additional lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl beat sugar, butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Incorporate vanilla extract, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat for 5 more minutes. Incorporate the yogurt.
- Slowly mix in the flour and baking powder until there are no lumps left. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix the remaining sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract in a small bowl. Drizzle or brush over the pound cake and return to the oven. Bake for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool completely.