This crowd favorite dessert is super easy to make! A sponge, fluffy, chocolate cake roll filled with a sweet vanilla cream and finished with a chocolate glaze. This is a rich, decadent and totally mouthwatering treat!
This Swiss Roll Cake is incredibly delicious! Honestly, I haven’t met someone that didn’t like it, that’s how good it is. It’s also really easy to make. Even if the rolling part looks scary.
I also love that you only need some pantry staple ingredients to make it! I mean, it’s something that looks completely different from a traditional chocolate cake while using the same ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, eggs and oil.
How to make Swiss Rolls:
There are a couple steps involved in this recipe but don’t fret! They are all super easy to follow.
- Start by beating some egg whites until light and fluffy wish a whisk attachment. It should resemble meringue. This is what gives all the air bubbles to the cake and what makes it “rollable”.
- In a separate small bowl beat the egg yolks with sugar and vanilla and set aside.
- Finally, in a third large bowl, mix the dry ingredients of flour with cocoa powder, and baking powder. Add the oil, water and egg yolk/sugar mixture and beat at a high speed until everything is well incorporated. It should be a thick and shiny batter.
- Now, with the help of a spatula, start incorporating the fluffy egg whites into the batter. You want do it carefully to keep as much air as possible so don’t over-mix!
- Spread the batter onto a jelly roll pan, which is a sheet pan like a cookie sheet, prepared with parchment paper and take to the oven for around 15 minutes. Remove from the oven. When your cake bakes, you’re looking to feel a cake springs back when you press against it.
- Place a cloth or a clean kitchen towel over the cake and carefully roll it. Let it cool completely. Using a wire rack can help it to cool quicker. Just put a piece of parchment paper down and rest it on top so your cake doesn’t crumble through the cracks.
- While the cake cools prepare the whipped cream. Just beat heavy cream with sugar and vanilla on a medium speed in an electric mixer until light and fluffy and is forming soft peaks. Set aside until the cake is completely cool to the touch.
- Un-roll the cake. Spread the heavy cream on top and roll it again. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Now it’s time to prepare the glaze! in a small bowl combine chocolate and corn syrup and microwave for 30 seconds at a time until the chocolate is melted and everything is well incorporated. Pour the glaze over the cake. You can also use a room temperature chocolate ganache for this step.
FAQ’s about Swiss Cake Roll
Q: Do you roll the Swiss roll hot or cold?
A: Hot! Immediately after you take it out from the oven you place a cloth over it and carefully roll it. When the cake is hot is easy to roll it without breaking it and when it cools down it holds the shape.
Q: Do you need to beat the egg whites until fluffy to make Swiss rolls?
A: Yes! That’s what gives the cake it’s sponge like texture
Q: Can you use other fillings when making a Swiss roll?
A: Totally! While whipped cream is the traditional filling you can also use raspberry jam, strawberry jam or even peanut butter. Feel free to play with the fillings as much as you like!
IF YOU LOVE THIS SWISS ROLL RECIPE, SPEND A FEW MINUTES CHECKING OUT THESE OTHER AMAZING CHOCOLATE RECIPES YOU’LL ALSO LOVE:
- Check this easy chocolate mousse that’s super creamy and indulgent.
- Or make a batch of these 3-ingredient pudding brownies that are a total crowd favorite!
- And also check these triple chocolate Nutella cookies that are going to become a staple in your home!
Connect with Simple Sweet Recipes on your
favorite social channel for more recipes!
You can find us on:
Swiss Roll Cake
For the Swiss Rolls Cake:
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
For the vanilla cream layer:
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp corn syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl beat the egg whites until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a separate bolw beat the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a third bowl mix the flour with the cocoa powder and baking powder. Add the oil and the egg yolk mixture and mix until everyhing is well incoporated.
- With th help of a wooden spatula incporate the egg whites into the batter, carefully to keep as much air as possible.
- Spread the batter onto the prepared baking sheet and take to the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Place a sloth over the cake nd carefully roll it. Keep it rolled until it cools down completely.
- While the cake is cooling down prepare the filling. In a bowl bneat heavy cream with sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the chocolaye with the corn syrup. Take to the microwave in 30-second intervals until the chcolate is melted.
- Un-roll the cake and spread the whipped cream on top. Roll it again
- Pour the glaze over the cake and let it cool down.