Have a brownie mix box in your pantry and want to bring it up a notch? Then keep reading to find out all the tips to make the best homemade box brownies ever.
Box brownies have a special place in almost every family. I mean, they are quick and easy to make, don’t need a lot if ingredients and are usually made using only one bowl. What else can we ask for?
As much as I loved them as they were I knew there must be a way to make them better. And I found it. I can finally share with you how to make a box of brownie mix 1000 times better, truly next level.
And yes, it will still be a super easy recipe. So next time you make brownies from a boxed mix, try these simple swaps to your brownie batter!
How to make homemade box brownies:
- Ok, start with the same base: a box brownie mix. And then we just need to doctor it up.
- Start by changing the vegetable oil for melted butter. Melted butter makes the homemade brownies richer and more decadent. And that’s always a win on my books.
- Then swap the water for buttermilk. Buttermilk not only makes the brownies richer but also makes the flavor a bit more complex.
- Use 1 egg and 1 egg yolk instead of 2 eggs.
- Finally sprinkle a generous amount of chocolate chips onto the top of the brownies. Extra chocolate helps create that fudgy brownie taste.
Box Brownie Mix
Mix-Ins & Twists
Add a tablespoon of cocoa powder for an extra rich brownie with a decadent chocolate flavor. Or, mix in a tablespoon of espresso powder for a more bitter flavored and fragrant brownie that will give you a boost for your afternoon slump.
For a more cakey brownie, add extra egg! Use 2 eggs and an extra egg white for a fluffier cake-like brownies!
Sprinkle chocolate chips
FAQ’s about making the best brownies:
Q: Can I add other mix-ins to my brownies?
A: Yes! These brownies are also delicious with a caramel sauce swirl, with some chopped walnuts and even with big blobs of cookie dough. Try adding butterscotch chips, toffee bits, or even chopped up candy bars like peanut butter cups or almond joys for a new flavor every time!
Q: Are box mix brownies freezer friendly?
A: Totally! Just let them cool down completely after baking. Cut them into squares and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap. Then just freeze them in a freezer friendly zip top bag for up to 2 months.
Q: Why do you use 1 egg + 1 egg yolk instead of 2 eggs as the recipe calls?
A: Egg whites make the brownies cakier. Since box mix brownies are usually on the cakier side of the spectrum we reduce the number of whites while keeping the same yolks that help creating rich and fudgy brownies with that chewy brownies texture you’ve come to love.
IF YOU LOVE THIS HOMEMADE BOX BROWNIE RECIPE, SPEND A FEW MINUTES CHECKING OUT THESE OTHER AMAZING CHOCOLATE RECIPES YOU’LL ALSO LOVE:
- Check this easy chocolate mousse that’s super creamy and indulgent.
- Or make a batch of these 3-ingredient pudding brownies that are a total crowd favorite!
- And also check these triple chocolate Nutella cookies that are going to become a staple in your home!
Connect with Simple Sweet Recipes on your
favorite social channel for more recipes!
You can find us on:
Homemade Box Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking pan and set aside.
- In a bowl combine the brownie mix with the egg, egg yolk, vanilla, melted butter and buttermilk. Add 1/2 Cup chocolate chip and stir into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the top with the remaining chocolate chips.
- Take to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the edges are crispy.
The steps above substitute the ingredients the box recipe calls for. You can adjust some, or all, of the boxed ingredients. Here are the substitutions this recipe uses:
- Butter is used as a substitute for vegetable oil.
- Buttermilk is substituted for water.
- 1 egg and 1 egg yolk is substituted for 2 whole eggs to create fudgy brownies.
- Vanilla extract is optional and adds a fragrant flavor profile to the brownies that makes them feel homemade!