These fluffy sourdough cinnamon rolls are so delicious! Soft, buttery and swirled with cinnamon and brown sugar these are perfect for a scrumptious breakfast or a indulgent snack. Best of all? They are also really easy to make and a great way of getting started in trying sourdough recipes!
Sourdough Cinnamon Rolls
These sourdough discard cinnamon rolls are a dream! They are cinnamon-y, soft, buttery and airy. They have a bit of a tangy flavor thanks to the sourdough and so easy to make. They are also sweet but not in an overpowering way.
Are you wondering, What is sourdough bread supposed to taste like? Or, is sourdough sweet? Sourdough bread is supposed to have a sour taste. It’s made with natural yeast, which can make it slightly sweet. When you combine the slight sour, tangy taste with sweeteners and spice the flavors combine beautifully and the bread turns out amazing!
I paired them with a soft and creamy cream cheese frosting, but that’s totally optional. These sweet cinnamon rolls are delicious on their own. The cream cheese, however, pairs heavenly with the tanginess and spiciness of the bread dough, trust me when I say these are so delicious you’ll want to eat the whole batch yourself.
How to Make the Easiest Sourdough Cinnamon Roll:
This is a super easy recipe so it’s perfect if this is the first time you even bake with sourdough! The sourdough added makes these the best cinnamon rolls!!
- First mix all the dough ingredients in a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer until you have a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest and rise in a warm spot. Dough rise times will vary, but generally 1.5 – 2 hours. This will make the dough super soft and airy + it also makes it easier to roll. This is the first rise, you’ll let your dough rise a second time in the pan.
- Sprinkle your work surface with all purpose flour (or bread flour). Then, roll out your sourdough onto the floured surface, sprinkling additional flour if necessary so your dough doesn’t stick. Use a rolling pin to roll your dough into a rectangle. Spread with some butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. You can also use other fillings so use whatever you have on hand.
- Roll into a log by rolling the long side in towards itself. Then, cut 8 thick slices using a sharp knife or using dental floss! Transfer to a baking pan and let it rise again for around 1 hour.
- Take to a preheated oven and bake for around 25 minutes. You can use this time to whip up the frosting if you want to.
FAQ’s about Sourdough Cinnamon Buns:
Q: Can you freeze cinnamon rolls?
A: Yes! Once they are baked and cooled you can keep them in your freezer for up to 3 months. Once you are ready to eat them just pop them in the oven for around 20 minutes and they will taste just like freshly baked!
You can also freeze them right after the rising stage. Just keep in mind that they will need to thaw in the fridge overnight before baking the next morning. I prefer to bake mine first, and freeze any leftovers.
Q: Can you make them without an active sourdough starter?
A: Yes! While they won’t technically be a sourdough starter cinnamon roll you can also make them with commercial yeast. Just sub the sourdough active starter for 2 teaspoons of yeast.
Q: Is the double rising necessary when making cinnamon buns?
A: Yes and no. The double rise makes your cinnamon buns lighter and more delicate. You can skip the second rise and your rolls will come out fine, just not as delicate. I definitely advise to do double rise if you have the time, it’s totally worth it!
Q: Can you make these as overnight sourdough cinnamon rolls?
A: Yes! You can roll up the buns and put them in the fridge overnight after the rising step. In the morning, they can go right into the oven or they can be set out on the table to come to room temperature before cooking.
Whip up the cream cheese topping, too, so it’s all ready to put together in the morning. Just make sure you keep the frosting in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
Q: What else can I make with sourdough starter?
A: Sourdough starter can be used to make breads, pancakes and other baked goods!
THIS BEST SOURDOUGH CINNAMON ROLLS RECIPE IS JUST THE BEGINNING! SPEND A FEW MINUTES CHECKING OUT THESE OTHER AMAZING SPICED RECIPES YOU’LL ALSO LOVE:
- Make this cinnamon French toast bake if you are craving a delicious, spicy and sweet breakfast the whole family will love!
- Or if you are looking for a warm dessert recipe then make a batch of these pumpkin pie layer bars.
Connect with Simple Sweet Recipes on your
favorite social channel for more recipes!
You can find us on:
Sourdough Cinnamon Roll Recipe
- 4 Tbsp sourdough starter
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ Tsp instant yeast
- ½ Tbsp sugar
- 1 Medium egg
- 3 Tbsp butter, softened
- ⅓ Cup water, lukewarm
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp cinnamon
- ⅔ Cup brown sugar, packed
Cream cheese frosting:
- 4 Tbsp cream cheese, softened
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Cup powdered sugar
- ½ Tsp vanilla extract
- In a large bowl mix the dough ingredients until you have a smooth soft dough. Cover and allow the dough to rise for 1 ½ to 2 hours until it’s doubled in size.
- Deflate the dough and transfer to a lightly greased work surface. Roll the dough into a rectangle. Spread the 3 Tbsp butter on top and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Roll the dough into a log and, using a sharp knife, cut it into 8 thick slices.
- Lightly grease a baking pan and gently place the buns inside. Cover the pan and let the buns rise for 60 minutes or until puffy. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Uncover the pan and transfer the buns to the oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until done.
- While baking, beat together the cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Remove buns from the oven and frost them with the cream cheese frosting while they are still warm.