Easy dinner recipe, this Louisiana influenced red beans and rice with ground beef recipe is hearty and filling with a flavorful Cajun taste that just needs a few minutes prep, then let it stew!
If you are looking for a delicious and easy weeknight dinner idea, you might love these red beans and rice. It is a really nice and hearty dish, that has authentic flavors!
This recipe calls for canned beans, which allows it to be whipped up a lot faster, than using the traditional dry beans you have to soak. Don’t be afraid of using canned beans, they speed up the process, and they are full of amazing flavor. If you’re looking for easy red beans and rice, can beans are definitely the way to go.
Red beans and rice is a classic Louisiana dish. You traditionally eat them on Mondays, because Monday was wash day. That worked so they could simmer their beans throughout the day on the stove-top, I can only imagine how amazing their homes must have smelled!
As their red beans simmered they would scrub clothes, and then at the end of the day have a delicious meal waiting for them! I still like a nice meal at the end of a long day with the kids too. This recipe was inspired by that classic Louisiana recipe, but with added substance.
Living in such a fast paced world, I don’t really always have the time to simmer beans all day, so I love using canned beans. You still get the amazing flavor, and it is a huge time saver for this dish.
I will say if you have any leftovers, the flavors really grow stronger as they marinade, and the dish tastes even better the next day for leftovers! This version has ground beef and smoked sausage, so it really makes it a perfect main course dish.
This is a very filling dish, with a nice kick of Cajun flavors, that really will wow your family!
As for the style of rice, you can really play around and use any style of rice your family enjoys the most. Brown, white, Jasmine, whatever your heart desires. It is a very versatile and hearty dish, that is truly pleasing to the taste buds.
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love
We love sharing easy dinner recipes! See our dinner landing page for our most popular recipes!
- This 3 ingredient potato soup is so easy for those busy weeknights to toss in a meal with little to no thought needed!
- For a new twist on pizza night, this Pizza Pasta Bake is so delicious and easy to get into the oven to bake!
- Macaroni Chili Pasta is a favorite meal for mixing up your chili night — or repurpose those chili leftovers in a way that makes them feel different again!
Red Beans and Rice Recipe
- 3 celery ribs
- 1 medium onion
- 2 green peppers
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup bacon fat (butter or oil will work too)
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (Like Tony's)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 4 cans kidney beans
- 1 (14 oz.) package beef sausage
- 2 cup broth (beef or chicken)
- 8 cups hot cooked rice
- In a heavy bottomed 4 quart pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery in bacon fat until soft.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned all the way through.
- Pour in the broth and beans. Add cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, and reduce to a simmer.
- Stir sausage into beans, and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve beans over hot rice.